Friday, July 11, 2008

365 # 11: Scott J.

Without a doubt, you are the most frightening storyteller I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. We met when you were cast to provide the voices for all the inanimate objects in the play I was directing. Many nights after rehearsal, you spun various yarns about one apparition or monster or another, always keeping the lot of us rapt with your narrative. I remember one night you told us about The Runner of the Road, a Wendigo-like creature that would run along the side of moving vehicles out on dark lonely highways. Afterwards, I pulled out onto Manchaca Road with the pedal to the floor. I had to laugh at myself when I realized what I was doing. Another time, we were driving to New Mexico in the middle of the night, and you had enough stories to get us most of the way there. Your tale about the Confederate Soldier's ghost that haunted your childhood dreams haunted mine for a long time.

No comments: