Friday, April 29, 2005

The Worrying Has Begun

The Holmes is a worrier folks. I try to keep it under wraps, but the fact is that I worry about things, particularly things that I don't have any control over whatsoever. Every now and then I remember that in fact I have no control over these things and remind myself that since I'm powerless to do anything, there's no point sweating it....that lasts for about three and a half seconds. Great big worry wart.

So my wife and I are now well into the fourth month of pregnancy. We've successfully made it past the three month mark, which is the period of time in which nearly all miscarriages occur. That's why you may not hear about somebody being pregnant until they've already been so for a while. It was the same with us, we chose not to tell people just in case. It was hard for me sometimes not to just blurt it out to all of our friends, but we had decided to keep it a secret until three months was up. And you can bet your ass that I spent that entire three months up to my ears in anxiety. And now that we're past that and I have that particular bit of stress taken off of my shoulders, I find there's plenty of other pregnancy-related shit to worry about. And as I look down the road, I realize that once it's born, there'll be more to worry about, and as it grows, even more. And more expensive! I mean, as a baby, it can maybe puke on the carpet, but as a teenager it can wreck my car. I guess this worrying shit continues until around the time you either die or develop Alzheimer's. All's I'm saying is, it had better be worth it. Because if it's not, I'm....I uh....well I guess there ain't shit I can do about it.

I'm just kidding folks. I know it's worth it.

No comments: