Thursday, April 07, 2005

This poem I read that I dug

I'm not a huge poetry fan. In fact, poetry usually gets on my nerves and I project all sorts of awful characteristics on to the personalities of people who I hear reading poetry. All the same, I just read this poem that I'm absolutely in love with. It's in the middle of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I assume he wrote it. It goes like this:

Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder, "Why, why, why?"
Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

Is that not just the shit?! I got so excited sitting here thinking about it that I had all these weird thoughts go through my brain that I don't even know how to describe, and then I thought that I might have said them out loud, so I looked around and nobody seemed freaked out. But that wasn't quite enough to convince me 100% that I hadn't said something really strange, whatever it might have been, out loud. So I hummed a couple of lines of a song out loud real quick to remind myself what I sound like when I emit sounds vocally. Now I'm pretty certain I didn't say anything.

No comments: