Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First National Bank of Fucking With Me

Every morning, I stop by my bank's online branch to have a look at the old account and make sure there aren't any unpleasant surprises. Expected unpleasantness is one thing, but surprises in the old money bin I can do without. Like this morning, for example. I logged in and just about shit a brick to see the depths to which my balance had plunged.

"What the hell?" I thought. "Has my math gotten that bad?"

I had a look at the most recent transactions and found a check that had posted for a rather large amount, one that I did not remember writing. Suspicious.

"But hey wait a minute, didn't I...? Oh those fuckers!"

It turns out that when they posted the check, they posted it for 10 times the amount for which it was actually written. They literally tacked an additional zero onto the end of the amount. Looks like we found a glitch in their check-reading program.

I spent a relatively frustration-free twenty minutes on the phone with them and got it straightened out. Shit man, I don't need that kind of jolt in the morning.

11 comments:

CamiKaos said...

I'm glad you didn't have a heart attack... or kill anyone...

Bubblewench said...

holy crap! I would have had a heart attack! I'm glad it was fixed quick and easy though.

Tara said...

Heck, it wakes you up better than the traditional cup of coffee. :)

Yaniv said...

There's one reason to check your balance periodically...

Imagine the shit you would have been in for had you not done that, and your check for the utility bill had bounced...

Anonymous said...

Ok i admit it, I added that extra zero to the check you gave me. But after the stuff you put me through in what was supposed to be a "simple transaction between two consenting adults" I figured I deserved it

Anonymous said...

Had a similar incident at the B of A. Only after THEIR mistake... they whacked me for a service charge.

Whit said...

I'm with Jay. I just had some real crappy stuff happen with B of A. That was a major part of my stress lately and it was all their fault.

Needless to say I'm closing my account next week.

This is the same bank, btw, that I had to call repeatedly because they forgot to take $1000 out of my account after I withdrew it. I had to call them three times over a month later. Seems like they would want to keep a customer like me (the stupid kind).

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Talk about a wakeup call!

Good heads up. I get complacent and don't check my online account very often thinking that my bank never screws up.

Summer said...

Who needs coffee... just imagine the money you could save by having such an adrenaline-jolting experience every morning! Who doesn't want to start their day with a breath-sucking, ohholyshit moment?

Man I hate that.

Love the new logo:)

sybil law said...

Dude.
Banks suck. I'm ready to dig a hole in the backyard!
Still - I am quite sure that got you up and moving!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Shit like that never happened at the bank I worked for. <---liar