Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Could you kids just go to sleep so I can blog about you?

I've been finding it rather amusing all of the little details regarding newborns that I seem to have forgotten since Henry's infant days, just a little over two years ago. Like that whole thing where they'll just pee on your during diaper changes - that's a lesson you'd think would stick for good, but no. Simon had to drop a little refresher for me on that one. It was good of him to get that over with quickly.

And there's that neat trick where you can set them down someplace and turn your back for two seconds and they'll still be exactly where you left them when you come back. Yeah, toddlers don't do that one. Only newborns. And perhaps seniors. I like that one, although it's slightly compromised if you've got a toddler around who is very interested in his baby bro.

Not to mention how little they are. My life was such that I never actually saw a real-live newborn until the birth of my first son, and I remember being struck at that time by how very small and fragile brand new human beings really are. And in spite of his immense birth weight, I felt the same sensation when Simon was born....which reminds me of a funny story from his birth. So the little guy had just been born, right? And I was holding him in my arms, looking down at his chubby-cheeked little face, and feeling the love sweep over my being, and pondering how it could be that each and every human being that has ever lived was at one time this small and vulnerable and dependent, and as the mysteries of the universe began to unfold before me in the barely-opened eyes of this freshly-hatched little squirmasaurus, my wife suddenly started yelling, "still attached! STILL ATTACHED!"

Yeah, those umbilical cords aren't quite as long I thought. Heh.

Anyway. No neat endings tonight. Off to catch some zzzzzzzz.

8 comments:

Whit said...

zzzz

no doubt, why am I still up?

Yaniv said...

Ha!

That's gotta hurt.

sybil law said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... Aaaaahahahahahahahahaha!
That is freaking priceless!
More pictures! That boy is too cute to keep hidden! (Of course they both are!)
Wow. Simon Says is going to have a lot of new meaning in your house.
:)

Bubblewench said...

That's cute... yeah, more pictures!

Jason said...

I'm right there with you. Baby 2.0 doesn't move, climb, fight over diaper changes and has much simpler dietary needs. However she also doesn't know about the sleeping at night thing either.

Still attached-that's priceless.

Life As I Know It said...

Congrats on your new little guy. Two boys are FUN. My guys are about 3 years apart and love and fight with eachother like all good brothers do.

Get some sleep!

Congrats again!

Keith said...

Man, you are really back in the game. Better you than me! Sounds like fun though. Enjoy.

sybil law said...

Are those kids still not sleeping?!