Saturday, April 07, 2007

Toddler in the window

Ash calls me at work yesterday:

"Henry's standing at the window and saying 'Daddy, Daddy, Daddy' over and over again."

Ouch! I get calls like this rather frequently, and it's always a multitude of emotions. On the one hand, I'm so touched that my son misses me like that, but on the other it kind of makes my heart hurt wishing I could be there with him. Ever since Henry's started walking, I've been getting the best greetings every day when I come home from work. I get out of the car, see his face in the window and hear "Daddy!" Then when I open the door, he toddles up to me as fast as he can with a huge smile on his face and throws his arms around me. Almost...too much...can't take...so much...baby love.

I do sometimes wish I could go the StayAtHomeDad route. The thought of it doesn't seem nearly as intimidating as it did before we had a kid. Not in the cards though. Speaking of staying at home, it looks like all the Holmes are gonna be home-bound for the weekend, seeing as how we're all sick. The sickness followed the typical pattern as of late: play group visit, Henry sick, then Ash, then me. Only the dog escapes. Ironic, seeing as how we're sick as dogs. Is there no justice?

5 comments:

Jason said...

There is nothing better than the greeting I get when I come home. Most of the time. Unless she's right into a show/her books/climbing somewhere high.

Bummer about spending Easter sick, sorry 'bout that. Hope it's sorta happy.

PS-that global warming post came back to bite, we got like a foot and a half of snow here Thursday. That's not supposed to happen in April-Grrrr.

OhTheJoys said...

Aw, the serious baby love is gooooooooood.

Terri said...

That is a sweet description of the love you feel for your son!

Terri said...

That is a sweet description of the love you feel for your son!

Kelly said...

So sweet! My toddler girls have been doing the same thing lately -- I love to torture their father by calling him at work so he can hear their sad, sad calls for "Daddy!" I should knock it off -- I don't want him getting any crazy ideas about stay-at-home parenting. That job is occupied, thankyouverymuch.