Thursday, September 22, 2005

We're almost out of hurricane names

Pardon me if I'm a little freaked out, but my mom is in Houston, a city which, if CNN is to be believed, is in a state of pre-Rita pandemonium. At the moment, she is placing sandbags around the perimeter of her house and putting furniture up on cinder blocks. If I had my way, she would have come here immediately, but I can't say that I blame her. All the same, I'm a bit worried. It's so incredible that right now as I type this, there's this massive entity blasting its way through the gulf, making its way slowly but surely like a growing pandemic towards our shores, and all we can do is brace ourselves.

In other hurricane related Holmes news, I found myself in HEB last night, and I have never ever seen it in such a state. I think all of South Austin was in there, and judging by the vacancies on the shelves, it appeared that they had shown no mercy to the inventory. Fortunately, I was able to get what I needed and get the hell out. You wonder in times like that just how little it would take to turn a civil crowd into a rioting mob.

No comments: