Friday, March 18, 2005

Forgot you were pregnant?

So I've been reading this book called The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-To-Be by Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash. It's basically a month-by-month pregnancy book written for the non-baby carrying partner involved in a pregnancy to help them understand what's going on with their pregnant partner and how best they can be of assistance rather than act like a bumbling idiot. Which is great. It's a great book, full of insight and great advice, and I would highly recommend it to any pregnant couple. Though there's this one sentence in a chapter near the beginning where it's talking about connecting with the pregnancy, and how the pregnant mother will typically connect sooner with the pregnancy than her partner, for obvious reasons. The author goes on to talk about how this was the case with his first child, and even goes so far as to say that he forgot that they were pregnant for days at a time. Forgot. For days at a time. Dude, you and your lady must have been living in separate states or something because I would no more be able to forget that my wife is pregnant than I'd be able to forget to take my ass with me when I leave the house. Between the frequent bouts of nausea, the fatigue, the simultaneous craving and revulsion of food, it would be a really neat trick to go forgetting that my wife is knocked up.

No comments: