Wednesday, September 10, 2008

365 # 70: Kid I Threw A Block At

Tonight's installment of class reading included a brief mention of early memory recollection, specifically the significance of a client's earliest memories for use in some forms of therapy. Which got me to thinking, what are some of my earliest memories? Maybe it's because my boys started daycare this week, but the first event that popped into my mind occurred when I myself was a little boy in daycare. You and I were playing with blocks, though what exactly we were doing, I can't recall. Building a tower to the sky? Creating vast cityscapes? Actually, I think we were each just doing our own thing in close proximity to one another. Some sort of little boy conflict arose between us. I'm sure it seemed like it was of utmost importance at the time, but I can't recall it now. All I remember is that I picked up a rather large and oddly shaped block and threatened you with it. I remember my exact words were, "I'll throw this big block at you." God, what a little asshole! Apparently you didn't comply with whatever demand I was making because I followed through on that threat. The next bit is kind of hazy, as if I blocked out the actual moment of the throw, but I clearly remember the moment after, your face all tears and screaming, daycare workers running up to both of us, and then me crying and screaming. That was a really shitty thing for me to do. I hope I didn't leave any permanent bumps on your head. If it's any consolation, I went on to learn much more peaceful methods of problem solving.

1 comment:

sybil law said...

I'm thinking the little asshole deserved it.
:)