Tuesday, January 13, 2009

365 # 136: Mr. S. the Landscape Architect

No scout reaches the rank of Eagle without planning and carrying out a service project. And no would-be Eagle Scout completes their service project without an assload of help. When I finally determined that my project would be to provide some landscaping and greenery to the dirt patches inside and outside of the newly built elementary school, my mom got in touch with you through a friend of hers. Your business was landscaping, and from what I saw of your portfolio, business was blooming. You worked with me to devise a plan for turning those big patches of dirt out front of the school into something that teachers and students could enjoy walking by every morning on their way in, and those open air courtyards inside into little bursts of living beauty. You helped me pick out plants that would thrive, and to arrange them in ways that would look nice together. It was one of the most satisfying projects I have ever accomplished, and it would not have turned out nearly as well without you. By the time I was done, I knew that I didn't want to go into your line of work, but I had learned that putting a plant in the ground could be more than just adding a bit of green - it could be art.

Now if only I could get off my lazy ass and start applying that lesson around my own home.

No comments: