Tuesday, May 06, 2008

House of love

Recall, if you will, that whole house thing I was all scared to even talk about a while back. Well, the deal went through, money and keys changed hands, and the house is ours. We moved last Friday, thus saying goodbye to the teeny little rent house that my wife had taken to calling The Shack, and hello to a house that we're falling more and more in love with. I love the house, the yard, the deck, the trees, the street it's on, the talkative old neighbor, the whole package. I even love the idea that I've got a ton of home improvement projects in my future. A lot of things worked in our favor to make this happen, not least among them a very cool landlord who let us out of our lease free and clear, asking only that we list the house for rent on craigslist for him. I ask you, whoever heard of such coolness?

This is eldest son's third move in his short life, and I'm determined to make it his last until he heads off to college. He seems to have picked up on the fact that this place is, in fact, the house where he lives now. We tried to reenforce that feeling after cleaning up the rent house by going around and saying goodbye to all his favorite spots there. Goodbye green room. Goodbye mommy daddy room. Goodbye back yard. It was cute, but I gotta say, it was not a difficult farewell.

We got to meet the woman who was selling the house. She lived here for almost 30 years, almost as long as the house has existed. She raised her kids here, and seemed to get a little bit emotional while we talked about it. She met the boys, and seemed happy to see that there would be children living here.

Earlier this evening, The Ash and I were putting our clothes away, and were raving about how we actually had room to put everything away without having to squash it all together. It occurred to me that it's good to be reminded not to take little luxuries for granted. A little gratitude always feels good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the move! Sounds like some great history there and some great memories will be made.

We're gearing up for a move here in a few months. Not looking forward to packing up 7 years of stuff here but we are looking forward to the next chapter in life. :)

Whit said...

Congrats! It is always nice when kids move in. I bet she loved that.

Anonymous said...

the house we live in in San Antonio is the only house my daughter remembers living in (she was 8 months old) and is the only home my son has ever lived. eventually we're going to have to move - it's too big - and when we do, i hope a family full of kids moves in!

sybil law said...

Yay!!!!
So glad you guys are happy with the new home!

Bubblewench said...

YEAH! I'm glad you are so happy.. Here's to years of happiness to come! WOO!

Radioactive Tori said...

That is great! I'm so happy for all of you!

Jenn C. said...

Congrats on the new (to you) house! I am envious of your storage space. Chad and I agree that if we stay in our house more than three years, we're turning the guest bedroom into one big closet/dressing room.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations (though I say that with a touch of envy). I live in a tiny apartment in NYC and can't even afford to buy property in my neighborhood, which some would call the 'hood. Anyway, I'm happy for you because I know how I would feel in a new place.