Monday, December 04, 2006

Stabby thing that goes stab

At dinner this evening, Henry successfully navigated food from his tray to his mouth with a fork. The food in question was avocado, followed by some acorn squash. He's been working on it for some time now. He took a few bites with the fork, but then ditched it in favor of his reliable little fingers.

"I thought it would be the coolest thing ever, eating with a fork," he seemed to say, "but it just didn't live up to the hype." He shoveled some more acorn squash down his gullet, leaving a bit on his face. "I guess I just had it so built up in my mind, there was no way fork eating could have possibly met my expectations."

"I know how it is son," I would have said, had this conversation actually taken place. "Just wait for the follow-up album of about 50% of your favorite bands. Or for your favorite book to get made into a movie."

The fork laid on the floor where it had fallen. It had no comment.

No comments: