Thursday, May 04, 2006

Liberal Christianity Not Quite So Weird

Check out this great blog posting about the resurrection of the Christian left in America.

"The very powerful and influential Christian Left of the 60's and 70's that once enjoyed so much success with their anti-war and civil rights efforts fell on tough times starting in the 1980's and soon thereafter fell apart as the Christian Right rose to power and dominance. Today many people in fact believe that since the Christian Left had fallen so far off their cultural radar screens, for so loooong, that they had become extinct."

To take that a step further, this Christian left thing must have been so completely underground for the past 20+ years that a lot of people in my age bracket are only recently coming to be aware of its existence. I can't say that this is the rule because I haven't done the research, but in the circles I find myself in, it seems that most people in my age bracket make a direct association between Christianity and right-wing ideology. Which when you think about it, makes very little sense.

No comments: