Wednesday, January 11, 2006

So when ya gonna have a BABY?!?!?!?!?!

So I've been working from home this week, which is no joke. It's basically like working two full-time jobs at the same time. My multi-tasking skills reached a new level yesterday when I changed a diaper during a conference call. Thank God for the mute button.

So since I've had a kid, there's this question that I've been asked by a couple of different people in a sort of indirect but totally obvious way, and it goes something like this: now that you're a parent, do you find yourself more inclined to encourage other adult couples to reproduce? The answer, my friends, is a resounding Hell No. If anything, having a kid has further solidified my belief that people who do not want kids should take all necessary measures to prevent themselves from having them. Before Hank came along, this idea was rooted in concerns about population control and also in my belief that children are not a requirement for two people who love each other to spend their lives together. Now that Hank's here though, and I see just how much time and effort and energy it takes to take care of him, and I think about what it would be like for someone who was having to do all this stuff when they didn't even want the kid in the first place, well, alls I see coming out of that situation is some pissy parents with a grudge against life and a potentially neglected kid. Sure, there are plenty of stories of unplanned pregnancies working out great, but there are millions of other stories of children who suffer just because they weren't planned for and weren't wanted. So folks, if you want to have kids, by all means go for it. But for those who don't see kids fitting into their family plan, don't do it, and feel absolutely free to tell any family or friends or any other meddlers to shut their traps when they try to put the squeeze on.

No comments: